Sunday, May 9, 2010

I love my mother, and I love my lox.

              It's that time of year again. The time where we all take a day out to celebrate our mothers, grandmothers and all the women in our lives who we have been touched by. My boyfriend and I drove to Lambertville, a quaint little town in New Jersey to celebrate Mother's Day with his mom. At breakfast I was finally inclined to try something I've been scared of for years...Lox. I remember being a little kid and at the breakfast table,my dad would put lox on his bagel. I couldn't figure out why this man who seemed sane enough to me was putting uncooked fish on his breakfast!
            Of course later in life I learned that lox actually is cooked, sort of. Generally,lox is cured in some sort of brining solution which usually includes a combination of salt, sugars and spices and then in some cases it's smoked. The food itself was introduced to the US by Eastern European Jewish immigrants.
            So here I was, in the kitchen with a plate in my hand going in for something I had been intimidated by since breakfasts past. I took half a toasted bagel and spread some vegetable cream cheese on it, I then topped it with tomato,red onion and (gulp) lox. I took my plate and sat down on the table ready to face my fears. I took my first bite, and then my second. It may sound crazy but as ate my breakfast I started to become overwhelmed by my new found love of lox. I definitely wanted to go in for a second helping but decided to stop there. After all you don't wanna look like a pig on mothers day, you want to make your momma proud! So, I wiped my mouth with a napkin, politely sipped my pomegranate cranberry juice and thanked goodness for mothers everywhere, without which I may never have gotten to know my new breakfast friend.

1 comment: