Sunday, May 9, 2010

Welcome to Edible Adventures!

             It all started a little while ago while I was out to eat with my boyfriend. He turned to me as we were discussing the menu and said, "Have you ever thought about becoming a food critic?" The thought had occured to me before as eating and writing have been two of my favorite pastimes, so I thought to myself, if  I'm going to do this I have to do it the fun way! So here we are, you've come to visit my blog. I'm sure you're asking yourself , what does a 22 year old from New Jersey know about food? So, I'll tell you a little bit about myself and how my passion for food and my love of writing has brought me to the blogosphere.
             I was born in Brooklyn, NY. My mother is Sicilian and my father is Polish. Being born into these two cultures has definitely contributed to my obsession with food. I can clearly recall sundays at my cousin's house sitting around a cramped dining room table eating "gravy" at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, gravy that has become a legend in my household since no one ever wrote down the recipe and it has been lost in time. I was always the little girl standing around in the kitchen watching all the old ladies chop garlic and onions and create smells that were as intoxicating then as they are now.
            In 1993 we moved to New Jersey along with most of my family, who started to relocate after things in Brooklyn started to change and most of the old timers either passed on or moved out. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter were always at our house, and I became my dad's little helper, standing tall (but short) at the side of the stove and watching all the family secrets. Luckily both my mom and dad have written down most of the recipes I admire most. One day I hope to share them with my son or daughter and carry on the traditions that my family has passed on to me.
            In the upcoming sections of my blog I plan on reviewing 1 restaurant a week, whether it be a local hotspot, a longtime favorite, or a new eatery. I plan on handling most of the writing (and eating!) but sometimes I will feature a contribution from someone just as interested in food as I am. I'll be rating the restaurants on a scale of 1 to 5 forks. 1 fork means stay  home and cook your own dinner, and 5 forks means I can't wait to go back, so tell all your friends! I'll also be writing an editorial centered around food and things going on in my life or around the world. I'm sure you'll find these insights interesting and helpful. So if you ever come around Jersey or travel far and wide,look to me to guide you on your Edible Adventure!

Sincerely yours,
Abby


          

No comments:

Post a Comment