Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dedicated to fathers everywhere..

 
   There are few things in this world that are more important then the relationship between a father and a daughter. This father's day I got to spend time with some of the people I love most in this world, and that made it an amazing day.
  We started off celebrating Tom's dad Tom Gilmour. We all ate brunch at Langosta Lounge in Asbury Park. Poppa Gilmour, Patti, Linnea, Daniel, Tom and I all enjoyed a delicious meal together. After all who doesn't love brunch.
  After we finished our meal, we went for a nice stroll on the boardwalk and enjoyed the sunshine and all that the Asbury Park Boardwalk has to offer. It's such a pleasure to be with Tom's family, they're so welcoming and really make me feel like part of the gang. It's also so nice to see a father's eyes light up as his children discuss all of their success. You could actually see how proud he was of each of his children.
  We all said our goodbyes to one another, and Tom and I headed off to spend the rest of the day with my family. Anyone who meets my parents thinks they're hysterical, and rightfully so. My parents might as well have a reality TV show. We sat by the pool, and then barbecued and discussed memories of living in Brooklyn, and my brother and I growing up. I love being with my family and talking about times that have passed and things coming in the future.
  Part of the reason I've grown so close with my parents is due to the fact I realize how fleeting life is. Both of my parents are 9/11 survivors. I came very close to losing them both, and to this day I never forget just how important they are to me. My dad was late to work that day because he had to drop me off at school, otherwise he most likely would have been in an elevator when the first plane struck the building. I would have lost him, and my life would never be the same.
  I envision the day of my wedding sometimes, and dream about what it will be like to have my dad walk me down the aisle. Every time I do this I wind up balling like a baby. I think about what he will be like as a grandfather and am grateful that he will be able to be a part of my children's lives as he was in mine.
 My father is the smartest man I know.He is also an amazing writer, and every time I write a blog I think of him and I try my hardest to make him proud. This fathers day I am thankful that my dad has been so present in my life, and has taught me so many things that I will carry with me forever.So thank you dad for everything. I promise I will continue to make you proud, and I promise I will always cherish our memories forever.


Love always,
Abby
 
 

1 comment:

  1. hopwe u got a basket of goodness at langosta MMMMMM. but on a more serious note i wana thank you abby for writing this post dedicated to fathers. fathers day is usually a tough time for me having lost my dad 8 years ago but while rummiging through the basement i found a bunch of old slides and photographs. so i asked my mom about them cause i felt the composition and such was spot on and all the photos were really well taken. wouldnt ya know it, they were all taken by my father back when they were dating in the bronx. i never even know my dad was into photography at all. guess the apple doesnt fall to far from the tree eh. keep up the Good work "Good ABBY" lookin forward to seeing u and tom soon

    ReplyDelete